Over £60K raised for Arthur Rank Hospice Charity from Christmas trees

  • 18 January 2024

Share this article

Lady in a green jacket standing next to a van and holding a small, shabby Christmas tree

We are delighted to share that thanks to the support of the local community, over 3600 trees were collected between 11-13 January.

As well as helping people dispose of their trees safely, easily and in an environmentally friendly way, the remarkable scheme raised over an incredible £60,000!

The ‘treasure hunt for trees’ was sponsored by Cooke, Curtis & Co (Trumpington).  130 generous volunteers kindly collected pre-registered trees from CB1, CB2, CB3, CB4, CB5, CB21, CB22, CB23, CB24 & CB25 9.

Across the three days, trees were collected and taken to drop-off points. They were then chipped to be used as mulch on location or at the Hospice. Drop-off points included Rectory Farm Milton, Scotsdales Garden Centre (Great Shelford), Cambridge Rugby Club (Grantchester), Abington Sawmill (Great Abington), Cherry Hinton Hall Park (Cherry Hinton) and Slate Hall Farm.

Female and a male standing outside with Christmas trees

Carolyn Start, Head of Fundraising at Arthur Rank Hospice Charity, comments:
“We are delighted with how well our Christmas Tree Recycling Scheme went this year, thanks to our extremely generous community and incredible volunteers. We could safely collect thousands of trees and the impact it will have to help fund the care that we provide, is significant. A huge thank you to everyone who donated, volunteered, helped us raise awareness and sponsored the event this year, from vans to chippers, to volunteer time and drop-off points – we are so grateful.”

Two men standing in front of Christmas tree pile

After costs, 90% of the money raised will go to the Hospice and the remaining 10% will be donated to a local worthy cause.