Share this course
This 2 day course aims to develop your skills and confidence when communicating with patients and families at the end of life. The follow up day is used to reflect on practice and review personal progress. This course requires contribution from participants for a range of activities which may include the use of video and working with an actor.
This Study Day is aimed at:
Suitable for registered healthcare professionals, who are caring for palliative patients and their families.
We use a range of experiential techniques to:
- To understand the importance of effective communication and the consequences of poor communication
- Identify blocking and facilitating strategies used when communicating
- Explore the impact of these strategies on communication at the end of life
- Help participants to develop competence and confidence to discuss emotional concerns with patients and families
- Practice communication skills
- Explore the skills used when dealing with difficult scenarios at the end of life
- Help participants feel more confident to have end of life discussions with patients and families
- Discuss approaches to advance care planning discussions
- Explore the impact of working with patients at the end of life on the professional, and look at strategies to manage this